Monday, June 1, 2009

Snapshot #2


It is a place that is meant for the public, yet I felt I was intruding on your private moment. Your grief was palatable, consuming. It surrounded you as smog does the mountains or the tall buildings of a city over run with pollution....stagnant, and putrid. It was painful to watch yet I could not take my eyes from you.

I did not need the caretaker to tell me you were grieving. Your face said it all. But he shared your story with me. You, who lost your brother in the murderous attack on our country and specifically our Nation's Capitol, were instrumental in getting this very site constructed...the Pentagon Memorial.

It was Memorial Day and I had come to pay my respects to those who lost their lives in that attack. I had come to see the only national memorial in existence that honors that day and those who lost their lives. I got more than I bargained for.

I got a glimpse into your life...the life of a man who lives the personal horror of that day everyday. The horror of having your brother murdered by terrorists on a day he and many others were just doing their jobs.

I am haunted by your grief and I promise you, I will never forget!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haunting words....a beautiful sentiment....and a reminder for all of us.

Thank you for such a poignant image and message.

R

Rita said...

There are so many of us who can not and will not forget. No one can tell me we should forget.

I See You!

Sitemeter