Friday, July 10, 2009

J-E-L-L-O


Do you remember that five note jingle? We all sang it at one time or another and we have all eaten this wiggly dessert in one form or another. I find it hard to believe there is a person out there who has escaped a molded jello dessert during a family holiday meal.

Jello...some of my favorite memories are centered around it. I remember in fifth grade we had an assignment that encompassed teaching the class a lesson on how to do a task from beginning to end. I taught my classmates how to make orange jello.
Jello...I still make a dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas that my mother always made...grated carrots and fresh oranges gelled in orange jello. Ummmmmmm. I make it, no one eats it. It's a tradition I can't let go of.

Then there are those jello shots. I have not had the pleasure but my husband has. His fortieth birthday. He was the first to leave...I am told they 'sneak' up on you.

I filled many a trash can with empty jello boxes when my kids were little, filling their fists with jello jigglers. Do you moms remember those? I made them with juice instead of water making myself believe I was giving them a more healthy snack!

Jello wrestling? Also don't have first hand experience with this. Sounds sticky...but I am sure there is a You-tube of it out there if you are really interested in seeing it.

Oh the things you can do with Jello. Anyone else care to share some memories?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

My grandmother made a dessert... I think she called it crown jewel cake but it wasn't a cake at all. It had little cubes of jello of several different colors in jello mixed with something that made it opaque, whipped cream maybe (?) I think she used cherry jello for that part because it was pink. I don't think I've had that since I was about six years old. I should try to figure out how to make it sometime.

I See You!

Sitemeter