Today is Labor Day. It is a day set aside to celebrate the accomplishments of the working men and women of this country. I can think of no man or woman who works harder for this country than those who are employed by our military and work to preserve the freedoms set forth by that document written so very long ago.
Many of these men and women will not be home to celebrate this day with their families. They are scattered across the world. They are living in conditions that are less than comfortable and doing without basic necessities. They do this for US. And now I ask that we do something for them.
The blogging community is powerful. We can make a difference. We NEED to make a difference.
Sparrow has introduced many of us to Anysoldier.com It is a great organization that enables you to adopt an individual soldier in any branch of the military. That soldier has a wish list of items he/she desires. You purchase the items and then send a care package to that soldier. Go check it out.
What I am asking is this: I want to start a multi-blog adoptanysoldier meme.
The first of every month I will put out a reminder to go to the site to adopt a soldier. Get the wish list and purchase the items and put your package together. Send it off and then on the 15th of the month write a post about your soldier, maybe what you sent or anything else you think you want us to know about the experience and link it back to my site with a comment. Use this Anysoldier header at the top of your post. It's that simple.
Here are some ideas that might make doing this easier:
1. Get people at your work involved...put out a change jar and ask them to drop their change in it once a week. Or collect a dollar from everyone once a month
2. If you travel, or know someone who does, start collecting the complimentary shampoos, lotions, etc.
3. Start asking people for their used books and videos, DVDs, etc.
4. Check out your local 'day old' Hostess, Pepperidge Farm, etc. stores for discounted products. They are much cheaper and just as good.
5. Charitable donations are tax deductible!
6. Coupons! Use coupons to save money. We bought a 12 pack of razors today and got them free. Watch for stores who double and triple coupons...often you can get things free.
If anyone else has any other ideas...please feel free to share. I am hoping we will pay it forward and take care of those who are taking care of us.