Thursday, July 17, 2008

Full Moons #2


I am enamored by the moon when it reaches it's fullest phase. Now that I am in the perfect geographical location to watch the moonrise, I make it a point to know the moon cycle. This is to ensure that I am poised to be sitting on the dock when the moon begins it's ascent into the night sky.

Friday, July 18th was the true full moon. Although I swear, I would be hard pressed to say it wasn't full Thursday night. Friday had been a very hot and steamy day at the lake and I had decided to take a shower knowing I might miss the moment the moon made its way into the night sky.

I was just out of the shower and my phone rang. It was Mr. W. He said, "have you seen the moon?" I looked out the patio doors and searched the dark sky above my lake. "I can't find it W, where is it?" "Just above the tree line, look just above the tree line."

Across the lake, as if it was rising from the trees themselves, was the moon. With barely one third of the celestial body visible, there was already a luminescent glow cast upon the water. Streaks of orange flames danced gently back and forth as the water swayed with the wind.

As it rose higher into the sky I was reminded of the children's story "James and the Giant Peach". The moon was the color of a peach and it cast a blush into the sky. As it rose higher, the blush changed from a deep orange to a pale yellow. The whole picture was breathtaking. I am so lucky to live here!

I thought you might be interested in a few facts and folklore about full moons:

The July full moon is called the Buck moon because this is when the new antlers of the buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur.

The word lunatic comes from the Latin word Luna for Moon

Crimes of violence increase at the full moon (a good reason to have your self-defense item of choice on hand and at the ready!).

No comments:

I See You!

Sitemeter